Fitness has always been a part of my life. My mother is a family practice nurse, who taught group fitness for fun throughout my childhood. Movement is rooted in my mind, body, and spirit. I can’t imagine living and not sharing that joy with others. I was 14 when I started teaching group fitness at a local club and earned my personal training certification by age 20 in college. I moved to San Francisco after graduating UC Davis to pursue the career full time and by age 26 I had a career that was very blessed. In 2011 I took a leap of faith and enrolled in health and wellness coaching courses. Months of mastering positive psychology, behavior change, coaching, and wellness filled my life with a new sense of passion and purpose. All the hard work, faith, and trust paid off. My career took a turn from exclusively fitness focused to health and happiness lifestyle management. I began coaching, speaking, and presenting on wellbeing topics to others. I started collaborating with corporations as a creative consultant facilitating wellness programs. My business expanded. I discovered strengths, passions, and a voice I never knew I had. I know there will be more surprises to come, because I believe that when you follow your passions and trust yourself enough to make it happen, ANYTHING is possible. My gift is my positive energy, my calling is to inspire it in others. I know I am living on purpose and every morning I wake up with a smile. Read more about my "WHY" here.
What do you like best about your career?
My mantra is “positive thoughts = positive results”. You cannot live a healthy life without a healthy mind first. I work to empower others to choose positive thoughts in order to create positive actions towards positive outcomes in their lives. With a strong, positive mind, you can free yourself to live the life you want. We practice strengthening the mind with “mental pushups” (positive, affirming thoughts) in all of my classes, workshops, and client sessions. From an intentional and positive place, they are empowered to take action towards making lifestyle changes in the areas they desire (fitness, nutrition, wellness, stress, relationships) in order to continue to live a life they love. I LOVE being a part of that process.
How do you stay motivated, positive, and driven on a daily basis?
Living a positive lifestyle is a practice. Surround yourself with positive people. Choose positive thoughts. Do what makes you happy. Stay connected to yourself and your world. Be grateful for it all!
Tell us about your regular workout routine.
Lately I’ve been LOVING “HIIT” training (High Intensity Interval Training) in my workouts and pilates-based core moves. I’ll combine a great HIIT circuit with some pilates exercises and it makes me feel energized, strong, and happy. Here are a few of my favorite routines, subscribe to my YouTube channel and join me online to work out with me!
How do you stay fueled for life on a daily basis?
I was lucky to grow up in a household of health. My family cooked together, shared meals together, and taught the importance of eating well. To me, fueling well means being open to learn, grow, and challenge yourself. It means learning to listen to your body and honor what it needs and how it feels. When there are so many choices, trends, and opinions it can be hard to define what is right for you. Its a process of trial and error. Of testing, re-testing, and listening. When it comes to performing my best both in and out of workouts, here are a few things I’ve learned that help me fuel well:
- Start the day with a large glass of water.
- Coffee can help get you going, but too much will make you crash and burn. One cup does the trick. After that, Im better off getting natural energy from movement, fresh air, and sunlight.
- A daily dose of apple cider vinegar will boost your energy and balance your stomach. Click here for my daily detox drink.
- Breakfast is essential. Taking the time for a solid sit down breakfast will help you have the power to fuel your entire day, avoid cravings, and limit late night eating. Here are a few of my favorite fast and easy breakfast ideas to fuel your busy life.
- EAT REAL FOOD. Not too much. Mostly plants. (Thanks Michael Pollan). Figure out your daily intake goals (protein, carbohydrate, fat, calories). Aim to get it daily. I use Livestrong.com “My Plate” to record an online food diary when I want to make sure Im getting the nutrients I need to succeed. Its completely free, has a large database, and is excellent. I'll keep a record for a few days on a regular basis to check in with myself and keep my healthy diet on track.
- Recover faster and get stronger with Vega Sport Performance protein. With 25 grams of complete, akaline-forming protein, you’ll improve strength and exercise performance and reduce recovery time between intense workouts (or long work days!). Take 45-90 minutes after a hard workout, bring with you to use for extra power for a long work day, or use while traveling to keep your nutrition on track.
- Eat every 2-3 hours helps keep blood glucose stable and to stay energized for whatever the day throws at you. Some of my favorite snacks include Vega Sport all natural protein bars and making a smoothie with Vega Sport protein. You can read my full list of all-natural healthy snacks to fuel energy and health here.
Allow yourself the treats you love in moderation. Life is for living not deprivation. (I call it the 80/20 rule of healthy living!)
What is your go-to style? Is there a piece in your wardrobe you can’t go a day without?
Black capris, simple workout top, and a zip up sweater. Basic black spandex capris are a must!
Which Tsu.ya pieces best fit into your active lifestyle?